7/21, cream ale, all grain on all electric system

Please post your brewing schedule here. Post in the subject line who, when and type (ie. All Grain, Partial or Extract). Post in the body the brewday information including directions and what you will be brewing.

Moderator: rsc3da

7/21, cream ale, all grain on all electric system

Postby dapsmith » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:46 pm

Saturday, 7/21/12
2900 s brentwood blvd, 63144
Brewing an all grain cream ale as adopted from
BYO with hop modifications (due to what's in my freezer). 10 gal target.

I'll be in the back lot of my office. Probably start at noon and I expect to run 5 hours or so. My last several brew days were a bust so I'm optimistic for success tomorrow.

Pm or post if interested and I'll get some pizza, beer or barbecue. Or just show up to see my all electric rig in action.

Dave s
314-961-1600 ext 100 if you want to leave a vm.
dapsmith

Re: 7/21, cream ale, all grain on all electric system

Postby dapsmith » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:47 pm

Another bust. The more complex (easier) I try to make my system, the harder it is to make "minor" changes.

This weekend's improvement was tri clover fittings welded to the kettle for the heating elements to allow easy removal. The problem was that I couldnt get the elements through my fancy electrical housings from Brewers hardware. Time for new housings. I think I'll try a simple 1.5" tri clamp x 1" NSP that I'll mount in a generic electical box housing.
dapsmith

Postby StLBeer » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:00 am

Serving - Dark Medicine, JD Bigfoot Barleywine Clone, JD RIS (jealous?), American Wheat Ale, Nut Brown Ale, & Blondes...
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby dapsmith » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:08 pm

Good call. I'll give straight elements a try.
dapsmith

7/21 cream ale all grain on all electric system

Postby RichardGhval » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:04 pm

I have a recipe for a partial mash. I want to convert to it to an "all grain" recipe.
What would be the ratio to go from 2 kg of LME to grain?
Thank you
RichardGhval

Postby StLBeer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:12 am

Here's the article you're looking for https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/3515-converting-recipes-techniques.

This one is also good: https://byo.com/bock/item/616-extract-to-all-grain-and-back

And here's a chart: https://www.jaysbrewing.com/2011/11/17/lazy-chart-for-converting-dme-lme-grain/

So your 2kg is 4.41 pounds. According to the chart, 4.5 pounds LME is equivalent to 6 pounds of grain. So, depending on your efficiency, you could get better or worse than the potential LME.
Serving - Dark Medicine, JD Bigfoot Barleywine Clone, JD RIS (jealous?), American Wheat Ale, Nut Brown Ale, & Blondes...
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Return to Brewing Schedules