Sausage Making

Off-topic discussions, non-beer related posts, etc.

Moderator: rsc3da

Sausage Making

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:25 am

Does anyone here have any experience in sausage or bratwurst making? I've got a few recipes I'd really like to try in the next couple weeks, but the only time I've made sausage or brats before was on some big industrial equipment when I worked at Schnucks. So basically I'm trying to figure out what all I'll need for doing it at home.

I'm planning on getting the Kitchenaid grinder attachment (http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-FGA-Gr ... 00004SGFH/). Sounds like it's not the most heavy duty thing in the world, but for doing 15 pounds once or twice a year, it looks like it'll suffice.

As far as stuffing goes, I'm a little lost. The Kitchenaid stuffer attachment seems to get pretty crappy reviews. Is my only other option a stand-alone stuffer? Is there anywhere in town that rents them out? Do you think if I ground all the sausage and took it to a butcher they would put it in casing for me?
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

Fermenting: Roggenbier, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Hefeweizen, Barleywine
Lagering: Märzen, Doppelbock, Düsseldorf Alt
turkeyjerky214

Re: Sausage Making

Postby bmock » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:49 am

I've often toyed with the idea, but I'm a little concerned on getting sausage in the casing also.

If you'd just like to try the recipes, you can always just make patties.
mockwerks.blogspot.com
bmock

Postby dvdaniels » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:21 pm

If you are only thinking of making slim jims or something like that you could try this http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/37-0101-w.html. It might work for brats with a little practice.
dvdaniels

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:10 pm

Nah, I'm actually looking to make sausages and brats. Doing this for an Oktoberfest party, and I want to get the food (and drinks, of course) as authentic as possible.
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

turkeyjerky214

Postby SteveO » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:38 pm

Only a couple tons in the past however many years.

We do pork sausage, brats, deer brats, lamb, chicken, you name it. If it can be ground, it can be stuffed. We like to get a little crazy with some of the combos, but we usually stick to "normal" types of recipes.

Can you share the recipes you're wanting to try?

We have our own gear reduced stuffer, it holds 15# in the canister. I'm pretty certain dad wouldn't lend it out, but if you want to drive across the river, it wouldn't take long to stuff.

Not sure if a butcher will stuff your mix or not. I'm guessing they'd lean towards no, just from a health safety viewpoint.

We just made brats in the spring, so we probably won't be breaking it out again until Feb for deer sausage.
SteveO

Postby Brewandwinesupply » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:43 pm

Brian,
I have some equipment and supplies in stock.
http://brewandwinesupply.com/index.php? ... ry&path=61

Let me know if I can help you out.
Doug
http://www.Brewandwinesupply.com
Doug@Brewandwinesupply.com
636-797-8155
1-888-225-5093
Brewandwinesupply

Postby DStauder » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:21 am

Seems to me you could use a refillable caulk tube.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... PING_81418

This should get the job done for cheap.

Cheers,

Dan
DStauder
Site Admin

Postby Brewandwinesupply » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:59 pm

Food grade???

Try this, a jerky gun, on sale now for $16.99.
http://brewandwinesupply.com/index.php? ... uct_id=183
http://www.Brewandwinesupply.com
Doug@Brewandwinesupply.com
636-797-8155
1-888-225-5093
Brewandwinesupply

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:21 pm

Steve, I'd love to take you up on your offer. I'll send you a PM.
-Brian

turkeyjerky214

Postby Sláinte » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:09 pm

Brian,

I got into sausage-making a few years ago. (Well, maybe long ago. :) ) I used a Kitchenaid mixer with the grinder attachment and stuffer. I was no expert, for sure; there's a "touch" to feeding the casing off the stuffer, but I attributed my problems to inexperience rather than equipment failure.

That was when I was married to ex-wife number two. When she cleaned me out, er, left, she took the mixer, but I thought I might still have the attachments somewhere, and I just found them in my basement.

So if you're already squared-away, this is moot. Otherwise, I would be glad to rent them to you for a glass or two of homebrew.

Sláinte
"I have a total irreverence for anything connected with society except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer."
Brendan Behan
Sláinte

Postby l1chris » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:19 pm

Brian, if you plan to make sausage more than once or twice, I would suggest jumping right in and buying a stuffer. I have that jerky cannon and honestly, its for making 2-3lb batches of jerky and thats about it. Anything more, and I use our big stuffer. When stuffing summer sausage in an artificial casing, stuff as tight as you can, but when stuffing brats in natural casings, you want it nice and loose and about the diameter of your thumb. When you have a good 4-6 feet stuffed, then twist them into links. I really think having the proper stuffer will be the difference between doing it right and just ticking you off. Good luck, let me know if I can help with any other advice. Do you plan on smoking the sausages?
l1chris

Return to ...and Everything Else