2015 NHC

Brewing competitions & medal announcements

Moderator: rsc3da

2015 NHC

Postby jeffjm » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:01 am

Pre-registration for the 2015 National Homebrew Competition is open. You can apply for up to six entries - depending on how many people want to enter, the actual number of entries allowed may be less. As in years before you must be an AHA member to enter. http://apply.brewingcompetition.com is available until Feb 8th.

Even if you don't have entries, please volunteer to judge or steward at http://brewingcompetition.com. We'll need everyone to chip in as we host the first round!
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Re: 2015 NHC

Postby beermikester » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:05 am

You don't have to be an AHA member to sign up to judge or steward. Please visit the page below to sign up!

https://brewingcompetition.com/(S(ru1bnosoxwmuxuzpb1aenxc4))/register.aspx

On Tap: Northern Brown Ale, Imperial Oktoberfest, Saison, Kolsch
Fermenting: Saison, IPA
beermikester
Site Admin

Postby seymour » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:43 am

beermikester wrote:You don't have to be an AHA member to sign up to judge or steward...

But you do have to be an AHA member to participate. I know you don't make the rules, but doesn't that seem hypocritical? "You're not allowed to be considered the best homebrewer, but please volunteer your expertise to judge who is?"

Sorry, I know I keep beating this dead horse.
seymour

Postby jeffjm » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:52 pm

seymour wrote:But you do have to be an AHA member to participate. I know you don't make the rules, but doesn't that seem hypocritical? "You're not allowed to be considered the best homebrewer, but please volunteer your expertise to judge who is?"

Sorry, I know I keep beating this dead horse.

Well....first of all, winning at NHC doesn't automatically make you the best homebrewer. At most you're the best homebrewer out of those who entered.

Second - it's not the AHA that's asking for help, it's your fellow club members trying to make a large competition run smoothly.

Third - said club members are working on this competition because we'd like to see the national convention here in a few years. By your posts I have the feeling you're not all that fond of the AHA, so you should be aware that we may be going in a direction you don't agree with.
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Postby seymour » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:39 pm

Fair enough. For the record, I respect the hard-work you all are doing, and I'm not trying to talk anyone out of it.

jeffjm wrote:Third - said club members are working on this competition because we'd like to see the national convention here in a few years. By your posts I have the feeling you're not all that fond of the AHA, so you should be aware that we may be going in a direction you don't agree with.

But, I wonder how big that "we" is? It doesn't seem to me like the majority of the club is necessarily so committed to the AHA, aren't paid members, and don't much care where the AHA convention (which they don't attend) is held. I could certainly be wrong, but perhaps it would be beneficial to everyone for us to actually gauge this some way. A show of hands at least? If our club really is officially only interested or primarily interested in strict BJCP/AHA adherence, you're right, I'm probably in the wrong place. But I don't think most members see it that way.
seymour

Postby wnordmann » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:24 am

I'm not sure lack of AHA members or past attendees is not a proper measuring stick. I am not an AHA member, and I have never attended a AHA conference, or given it much though.

And I am SUPERexcited at the idea of have the AHA here in St. Louis. Just because I've never bothered with the organization before doesn't mean I wouldn't attend a conference if it was down the street. And ever more I would help with the organizing of the conference to help see if occur just down the street. Partly selfish so I can attend, party because it sounds like fun to see what it takes to organize a national conference.
wnordmann

Postby beermikester » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:52 pm

I have updated the home page of the web site with a little more information about the NHC judging. If you haven't signed up yet, please consider doing so. We really need all the help we can get. You can register at:

http://stlbrews.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d46007ab363b7da6e1a9146d5&id=8c26b04c65&e=0df1d38109

Thanks!

Mike

beermikester
Site Admin

Postby beermikester » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:26 am

A huge THANK YOU to all that helped judge and steward at our NHC competition. We had 597 entries, and needed six sessions to get through them, but we did, and did a very good job at it.

Before the competition, the site director's handbook gave instructions that said that any entries missing or mis-categorized would be automatically advanced to the next round. I'm very proud to report that of the 597 entries we received, we will be using this rule exactly ZERO times. All entries were correctly judged.

This was a great showing for St. Louis. We are in the running for having the NHC competition here in St. Louis, and having a successful competition was critical in that effort. We not only had a competition that could be considered successful, but it was close to flawless.

Again a very big thank you to everyone that helped.

There is one more activity that we will need help with. We need to stuff those 597 entries into about 200 envelopes. More details on this will come, but we will do it some time this week, and can use all the help we can get.

Thanks!

Mike

beermikester
Site Admin

Postby umrurgefan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:42 am

I just wanted to give a big thank you from the STL Hops club to everyone at the Brews who made this event a success. Mike, Jeff, Jacob, Al, Tim, and anyone I forgot. I judged 4 sessions and this event was ran flawlessly. Great food before every session as well. Really good job putting our best food forward with Gary and Sandy in town as well. Cheers everyone!

Paul
umrurgefan

Postby beermikester » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:00 pm

I mentioned in a previous post that we will be having an envelope stuffing party to get the results out to each of the individual brewers. We would like to get together Wednesday evening at my house in Kirkwood, starting at 6:00. I think that if we get enough volunteers, we can probably be done in a fairly short amount of time. Maybe an hour or two.

If you can help out, please let me know. You can Message me here on the forum, or email me at beermikester at stlbrews dot org, and I can send you my address if you don't have it already. I do have two cases of beer left over from the competition we can enjoy, and of course, people are always welcome to bring some of their own.

Thanks,

Mike

beermikester
Site Admin

Postby beermikester » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:38 am

Still looking for people to help. Let me know if you can help out.

Mike

beermikester
Site Admin

Postby TCochran » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:09 pm

Congratulations Jeff Muse for advancing to the finals of the NHC! Good luck in San Diego!
TCochran

Return to Competitions