Bruery homebrew competition

Brewing competitions & medal announcements

Moderator: rsc3da

Bruery homebrew competition

Postby jeffjm » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:59 am

The Bruery is sponsoring a homebrew competition that may lead to a GABF pro-am opportunity. BJCP categories eligible include 13 , 16, 17,18, 19, 20, 21, 22 and 23. Beers must be submitted between the dates of April 1st 2015 and April 22nd 2015, with judging on April 26th. Entry fee is $10 with all proceeds going to charity.

Registration info is at http://www.thebruery.com/events/homebrew/.

Now if they would only distribute to Missouri :(
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Re: Bruery homebrew competition

Postby Mike C-Z » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:40 pm

You must be an AHA member as well.
Teaching that does not promote learning makes as much sense as brewing that does not promote drinking.
Mike C-Z

Postby seymour » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:52 pm

Mike C-Z wrote:You must be an AHA member as well.

That's frustrating, I don't see why that must be a requirement. I emailed a complaint to that effect, too.
seymour

Postby siwelwerd » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:26 pm

seymour wrote:
Mike C-Z wrote:You must be an AHA member as well.

That's frustrating, I don't see why that must be a requirement

It's required so that they can enter the winner's scaled up collaboration brew into the GABF Pro-Am.
siwelwerd

Postby Mike C-Z » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:30 pm

I was going to enter something, but after looking over the entry requirements I realized that I couldn't. It's their contest so they can set the rules. I understand their reason. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.
Teaching that does not promote learning makes as much sense as brewing that does not promote drinking.
Mike C-Z

Postby seymour » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:23 am

siwelwerd wrote:It's required so that they can enter the winner's scaled up collaboration brew into the GABF Pro-Am.

I get it, but that's only one possible (strictest) interpretation of the AHA Pro Am rules.

Mike C-Z wrote:I was going to enter something, but after looking over the entry requirements I realized that I couldn't. It's their contest so they can set the rules...

That's exactly right, and some other commercial breweries are being more inclusive.

According to the Pro-Am official rules http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.co ... mation/#11

Breweries may determine the homebrew recipes they scale up in one of three ways:
1.Select an award-winning homebrew from an American Homebrewers Association (AHA)/Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) sanctioned homebrew competition held on or after January 1, 2013.
2.Organize your own brewery-run and/or AHA/BJCP sanctioned competition.
3.Partner with a local homebrew club to organize an AHA/BJCP sanctioned competition.

Of course the AHA wants every homebrewer to be a paid member, and of course they want every brewery to host an AHA-sanctioned contest, but a close reading of Rule #2 permits The Bruery to hold their own brewery-run contest however they want. They could even award the winning homebrewer with $43 to become an AHA member. The rules don't say anything about when the homebrewer became an AHA member.
seymour

Postby siwelwerd » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:36 pm

seymour wrote:The rules don't say anything about when the homebrewer became an AHA member.

Actually they do, if you read a little further down:

AHA wrote:The homebrewer entrant or entrants must be members of the AHA by the time the brewery registers the entry in the GABF Pro-Am competition (July 2014), as well as when the Pro-Am entry is judged (October 2014). All brewery entrants must be members of the Brewers Association.

Which quite clearly settles the point in your favor: there is no reason (other than ignorance) for a competition in April to require all entrants to be AHA members.
siwelwerd

Return to Competitions