cooler with hole too small for spigot

General brewing equipment discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

cooler with hole too small for spigot

Postby Robotfan » Fri May 13, 2016 2:37 am

I bought an Igloo cooler for use as a masher/lauter tun. I bought one of those PVC pipe lautering systems. The spigot for that needs a 1" hole, and the cooler has a 3/4" hole. I figure I either need to find a way to drill a larger hole in the cooler, or to find an adapter of some sort. In either scenario, I'm stumped. If I need to drill a bigger hole, how do I do it? If I need to get an adapter, what kind of adapter do I need and where do I get it?
Robotfan

Re: cooler with hole too small for spigot

Postby blksabbath » Fri May 13, 2016 9:57 am

A step bit is a pretty safe way to gradually make the hole bigger. It would take 10 seconds to do.

Which pvc system are you trying to adapt to this cooler?
Dude! Lets hang out!
blksabbath

Postby Robotfan » Fri May 13, 2016 11:14 pm

It's sold as the picnic cooler mash tun conversion kit. http://www.amazon.com/Homebrew-Lauter-P ... B000EBIDF4 . The reviews aren't stellar, but the cost was right. I'll be modifying it quite a bit to fit in my cooler.

I did what I should have done in the first place: I googled my cooler (Igloo 60 quart Cube wheeled cooler), and found someone who had done the same thing I'm trying to do. His solution was simple enough: just get a 1/2" brass ball valve, which will fit in the cooler without drilling. A trip to Home Depot tomorrow will finish that project.

I've been assembling equipment for a couple of months now. With luck, I should be brewing my first all grain batch in years (triticale beer) sometime next week. Provided, of course, that everything I built works right out of the gate. :)
Robotfan

Postby StLBeer » Mon May 16, 2016 9:10 am

This is a pretty good thread.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=222&p=905#p905
Serving - Dark Medicine, JD Bigfoot Barleywine Clone, JD RIS (jealous?), American Wheat Ale, Nut Brown Ale, & Blondes...
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Return to Equipment Discussion