I'm done reusing Schlafly bottles for homebrew!

General brewing equipment discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

I'm done reusing Schlafly bottles for homebrew!

Postby seymour » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:47 am

I, like many of you I'm sure, often save commercial 12oz pop-top brown glass bottles to reuse for my own beer. Schlafly bottles have always seemed great because they felt heavy-duty and the labels were easily removed by simply soaking in a sink of hot water. But that has changed, in my experience at least.

Since their 20th Anniversary in 2011 when their bottles changed shape slightly and started featuring decorative name and inception date embossing, the quality definitely seems to have declined. I don't know if it was a conscious cost-cutting decision or not.

In recent months a few Schlafly longnecks broke right off while I capped them. Last night two different bottles started hissing after I capped them. At first I thought maybe I hadn't gotten a good seal, but then I saw beer bubbling out of hairline fractures in the glass itself! When I tried to remove the cap to pour the beer into a different bottle, the whole thing broke apart in my hands. I simply threw the second leaky bottle away before I hurt myself. Geez, I'm done trying to reuse Schlafly bottles!

It's no big deal, I have plenty of other (better) bottles. I know, I know: so long as Schlafly bottles deliver beer to consumers on their first use, they've served their purpose. It's not like they owe us homebrewers a high-quality infinitely reusable bottle, but I always kinda enjoyed having a little "local color" in the mix.

Has anyone else experience similar problems?
seymour

Re: I'm done reusing Schlafly bottles for homebrew!

Postby jeffjm » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:07 pm

Yes, but not with Schlafly bottles. See:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5092
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Return to Equipment Discussion