"bottle conditioning" in a corny keg?

General brewing equipment discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

"bottle conditioning" in a corny keg?

Postby seymour » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:50 pm

So I've been brewing for years, but I'm fairly new to kegging. I know how to slowly force carbonate from the CO2 tank, and I've heard about the quick-and-dirty-shake-and-bake method, but what about good ol' fashioned secondary fermentation?

Do you guys ever prime the 5 gallon batch like you would before bottling, and let the yeast naturally carbonate in the keg?

Does it work? I imagine that might produce some extra yeast haze (which wouldn't bother me, I think clarity is overrated), but are there any other downsides?

Cheers,
-Seymour
seymour

Re: "bottle conditioning" in a corny keg?

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:27 pm

No downsides that I know of. I usually let my Belgians naturally carb in the keg. You'll still obviously need to vent the air and seal it with CO2, and you'll get a little more yeast in the first couple pours.

I don't monitor my fermentations progress that closely aside from when I want to do a diacetyl rest, so I just add some priming sugar to the keg. If you actually watched your gravity, you could keg it before it's done fermenting and let it do its thing all on its own. Or you could do a pressurized fermentation and a sealed transfer to the keg.
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

Fermenting: Roggenbier, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Hefeweizen, Barleywine
Lagering: Märzen, Doppelbock, Düsseldorf Alt
turkeyjerky214

Postby Kerth » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:49 pm

I had to find my notes: Prime with 1/3 cup sugar and seal it up. Don't use 3/4 cup it will make it foam. It works just like a big bottle. A couple weeks and you are ready to go.
Kerth

Postby seymour » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:09 pm

Great. I think I will try it. Thanks guys!
seymour

Postby rsc3da » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:51 am

Yeah it definitely works. I have read that you need to prime a little bit less than you would a bottle though. I haven't kegged any beers in a while so I forgot exactly what the difference is, maybe you could find out if you googled it.

Also you can try cutting the dip tube short so that you don't pull a bunch of yeast into the first beer that you pour, you want to keep that yeast there if possible.
Kegged: CAH (Cider + Agave + Honey)
Lagering: -
Conditioning: RIS (BA Abraxas 2.0),Quad/Saison
Fermenting: Oktoberfest, Lambic
Plan: -
rsc3da

Return to Equipment Discussion