RO water

General brewing equipment discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

RO water

Postby Kerth » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:29 pm

Is $100 a good price for an R.O. system? Goodwill has one.
Kerth

Re: RO water

Postby jeffjm » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:45 pm

I was debating an RO system over the summer, and the prices varied quite a bit depending on things like gallons produced per day, amount of wastewater produced, flow speed, and the number of stages. You might check out http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ro_systems.htm and http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-reverse-osmosis-filters-systems/reverse-osmosis-systems.htmlfor comparison.

Eventually I decided my municipal water supply is good enough that the additional effort of generating RO water wasn't worth it.
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:50 pm

Depends on the brand. The good ones seem to go for around $175 whereas I've seen some cheap ones for under $100.

I haven't really looked into how much waste water it produces, but of the amount of water I use for a brew day, the water that actually goes into the beer is a rather small percentage so I personally wouldn't be too concerned about that. Didn't the guy from the water treatment place at the meeting last year say that we pay around $.01 per gallon?
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

Fermenting: Roggenbier, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Hefeweizen, Barleywine
Lagering: Märzen, Doppelbock, Düsseldorf Alt
turkeyjerky214

Postby rsc3da » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:01 pm

Kerth I am wondering about the RO system cost versus benefit for you. Unless you have some real problem water, it really isn't all that necessary. RO systems can be costly.
Kegged: CAH (Cider + Agave + Honey)
Lagering: -
Conditioning: RIS (BA Abraxas 2.0),Quad/Saison
Fermenting: Oktoberfest, Lambic
Plan: -
rsc3da

Postby StLBeer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:26 am

The water Kerth and I use comes from the Meramec. That water is quite high in bicarbonates. i.e. pH @9.5. The easiest way to reduce that is to use either distilled or RO water.
Serving - Dark Medicine, JD Bigfoot Barleywine Clone, JD RIS (jealous?), American Wheat Ale, Nut Brown Ale, & Blondes...
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Return to Equipment Discussion