eBrewery/Propane to Electric Conversion

General brewing equipment discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Re: eBrewery/Propane to Electric Conversion

Postby StLBeer » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:05 am

I had to slight diversion in my free time to build a RIMS tube and ammo can controller for someone on HBT so work on the panel had slowed a bit.

Last night I was able to finish the wiring for all push button switches, then wired the PIDS for power. All the 120v work is done. Here's what's left:

Wire the 240v element pilot lights
Install and wire RTD's and QD's.
Install and wire 240v outlets.
Wire PID timer alarms and reset switches.
Wire e-stop.
Install 50A Spa Sub-panel
Connect control panel to spa panel

I've been testing as I go and have found a problem with the PID power circuit. This is a 120v AC circuit. I have power going from the breaker to the distribution block, then to a fuse block, then to the PID power push button switch. When I turned on the circuit and closed the switch the PIDS did not power up. When I checked the voltage for that circuit it is about 16.5 volts after the fuse. Before the fuse it's 120 volts.

I'm using 125v 1Amp fast blow fuses and Altech CSFL4U(L)/110 fuse blocks. The data sheet doesn't indicate which way to wire the block, so I might have it backwards. I'll give that a try first. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd appreciate that. There is a "+" on the block but don't have the power source going into that - this is why I'm going to rewire it.

Paul
Serving - Dark Medicine, JD Bigfoot Barleywine Clone, JD RIS (jealous?), American Wheat Ale, Nut Brown Ale, & Blondes...
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby wnordmann » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:17 am

I thought Fuses were bi-directional. It could be a 120v thing vs the 12v that I am used to.
wnordmann

Postby Witch Doctor Dale » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:06 pm

It looks like the fuse is blown.....I'd be checking for shorts, any chance you have a megometer?
Witch Doctor Dale

Postby StLBeer » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:24 pm

Problem solved!

I have 3 of these fuse blocks and the 2 other ones work just fine. SO, I opened the problem one and examined the fuse - no problem and there's continuity. Then I looked at the connectors where the fuse goes - they were spread too wide to make good contact with the fuse (the fuse lifts in and out with the fuse block cover). I closed them up a bit and viola! Problem solved.

Thanks!
Serving - Dark Medicine, JD Bigfoot Barleywine Clone, JD RIS (jealous?), American Wheat Ale, Nut Brown Ale, & Blondes...
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby StLBeer » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:13 am

Almost done!

Shot of the front of the CP. PID/Timer combos working just fine.

The backside of the front door. There's been a lot of wiring done. Still need to wire up the element pilot lights and test that functionality. Need to get the 220v in first though before I can test that.

Inside the CP. I really like the DIN mounted components. It makes for a clean install. This is mostly cleaned up. Stray wiring there is a hacked extension cord for the 120v to test with and some wires for the 220v pilot light test.

Close up of the wiring bundle. Wire ties are your friend!

So just a couple of other things to finish up. Did you notice the QD's for the temp probes? Neither did I. Oops.
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby HarvInSTL » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:53 pm

Paul,

I have some spare XLR jacks and connectors if you need them for your temp probes. I bought a package of 20 sets and only needed 16 for my motorized ball valves and temp probes.
JE wrote:The better the pot, the less headaches I have!
HarvInSTL

Postby StLBeer » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:37 pm

Are you willing to part with 3 of them? How much?
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby HarvInSTL » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:25 am

3 sets (female panel outlet & male connector) for $10.
JE wrote:The better the pot, the less headaches I have!
HarvInSTL

Postby StLBeer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:57 pm

Anthony, that sounds fair to me. I'll be in Jefferson City soon. Is there a better day or time of day to meet up?

Paul
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby StLBeer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:25 pm

Elements for the HLT and BK arrived today. The new 240v 2000w element for the RIMS should be here tomorrow.

I went to HD and returned a few items and picked up the outdoor gang boxes to put the elements in.

DanG - Do you have a bi-metal hole saw - 2 1/8" or 2 1/4" - for putting a hole in the back of your gang box? If so, I wanna borrow it.

Paul
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby StLBeer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:50 am

Though there's still some wiring to do, I got the CP mounted yesterday. Not too bad. I'm going to cut off the lower bracket as it's too narrow and put up a longer one.

I've got to figure out where to put the 220v/50a sub-panel though. That's a tough one.
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby Sláinte » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:02 pm

Shore is purty. :)

Sláinte
"I have a total irreverence for anything connected with society except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer."
Brendan Behan
Sláinte

Postby StLBeer » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:52 pm

Progress....

Electrician will be here Sunday to wire up my 220v/50a GFCI subpanel! SO I gotta get humpin' to get this thing brew-worthy. Space cleared out around main panel - check! Space cleared out around sub-panel mounting location - check!

Electrical boxes for HLT and BK finished, cords installed with plugs, and mounted along with elements.

Next up - finish wiring the 220v element power indicator lights, drill holes for the temp probes in the control panel, and make the electrical box for the RIMS element.

Then strip everything off the rig, clean it, and paint it.
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby blksabbath » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:55 pm

Sorry Paul. Missed your post. I have the greenlee punches to do the holes. Looks like you are well past that though. Email or pm me if you need those or other tools...i have most of the stuff.

Dan G
Dude! Lets hang out!
blksabbath

Postby StLBeer » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:33 pm

Dan,

No worry about the punches. I have a 1 3/8" step bit that did the job.
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Discussion