Yeast Bay

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Yeast Bay

Postby Mike C-Z » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:20 pm

Curious if anyone has ever ordered any wild yeast bacteria blends from them? If so, what did you think?
Teaching that does not promote learning makes as much sense as brewing that does not promote drinking.
Mike C-Z

Re: Yeast Bay

Postby stlmalt » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:19 pm

No not yet. The Wallonian Farmhouse yeast is of interest to me right now.
Kent
Missouri Malt Supply in Fenton
stlmalt

Postby Mike C-Z » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:30 am

They have new strains listed on their site, not available until mid July at the earliest though.
Teaching that does not promote learning makes as much sense as brewing that does not promote drinking.
Mike C-Z

Postby alanwells » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:32 pm

I haven't used any of their wild yeast blends yet but I used their Vermont ale strain which is the yeast from Heady Topper by Alchemist brewery, it came out really nice in an IPA I made with it.
alanwells

Postby seymour » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:57 pm

They obviously emphasize strains not otherwise commercially available. Very cool!

Vermont Ale is obviously the Conan strain from Alchemist Heady Topper, but what about Wallonian Farmhouse? Some people suggest DuPont saison, but there are multiple such ways to get that from Wyeast, White Labs, BSI, etc. So, you guys think it's the Fantôme yeast? They're in Wallonia, brew in an actual farmhouse, are not otherwise commercially available...

Rebuttals?
seymour

Postby alanwells » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:09 am

I am almost certain that the Wallonian farmhouse strain isn't the Dupont strain. I have brewed using both strains and the end results were very different in my opinion in terms of ester/phenol content.

Also, the Dupont strain is notorious for being a sluggish yeast, even at temperatures in the 70s and works best when fermented in the 80-90 degree range (source: Farmhouse Ales: Culture and Craftsmanship in the Belgian Tradition, Phil Markowski). When I used the Wallonian farmhouse yeast it fermented pretty quickly at ~70F, ~1 week. I am almost sure if I had used the Dupont yeast at this temperature it would not have able to attenuate the beer in the same amount of time (The saison I made with the Wallonian farmhouse yeast ended at a bone dry 1.003).

The most recent batch of saison I just brewed using the Dupont yeast was fermented in the 80-90F range and even after a week the SG was still 1.010 for comparison.
alanwells

Return to Ingredients Discussion