brown malt

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Re: brown malt

Postby Mike C-Z » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:29 am

Looks promising. Might be able to enter competitions again. Simply avoided competitions for years since many of my beers fall into the catch all category 23. American wild ales, yes!
Teaching that does not promote learning makes as much sense as brewing that does not promote drinking.
Mike C-Z

Postby seymour » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:37 am

Mike C-Z wrote:Looks promising. Might be able to enter competitions again. Simply avoided competitions for years since many of my beers fall into the catch all category 23. American wild ales, yes!

+1
seymour

Postby siwelwerd » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:43 am

turkeyjerky214 wrote:New style guidelines? You think they're gonna add Session IPA? I know you've been pretty passionate about it getting it's own classification for some time now. :lol:

They are adding a "specialty IPA" subcategory, so that's probably where you could enter those. Depends on how they stretch or compress existing APA and IPA categories though.
siwelwerd

New Style Guidelines

Postby jeffjm » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:26 am

We seem to have left the topic of brown malt behind us, so maybe this should be a new topic...but the AHA just posted most of the presentations from NHC, including Gordon Strong's talk on the new guidelines. I took a nap rather than attend, and I haven't listened to the audio yet, but the slides list "Specialty IPA" as including black/brown/white/red/rye/belgian varieties, and strengths as session, standard, or double. Maybe specialty IPA will be like mead where you have to specify a strength.

Combinations are allowed, so presumably this category would include things like white rye belgian session IPA.
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Re: New Style Guidelines

Postby Michael » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:15 pm

jeffjm wrote:Combinations are allowed, so presumably this category would include things like white rye belgian session IPA.

Sounds silly!
My Indian name is "Running With Beer"
Michael

Postby jeffjm » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:55 am

Not nearly as silly as some of the examples used in the talk!

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/videos/chop-brew-covers-2014-bjcp-style-guidelines/
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Postby Michael » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:06 pm

WOW :shock:
My Indian name is "Running With Beer"
Michael

Previous

Return to Ingredients Discussion