Beer styles with cherries?

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Beer styles with cherries?

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:04 pm

Aside from lambics and wheat beers, has anyone used cherries in their brewing? I told the wife to pick what I'm brewing next, and she said, "something with cherries."

I was thinking something like an imperial porter. I've heard some people say they do it with dry stouts, but I would be afraid that the roastiness wouldn't mesh well with the cherry flavor.

Any ideas?
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

Fermenting: Roggenbier, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Hefeweizen, Barleywine
Lagering: Märzen, Doppelbock, Düsseldorf Alt
turkeyjerky214

Re: Beer styles with cherries?

Postby slarkin712 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:32 pm

Cherries should definitely work in a saison or kolsch. Maybe a cherry milk stout. Cherry cheesecake something!
slarkin712

Postby seymour » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:12 pm

There's a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout with cherries (aged in wooden bourbon barrels). I can think of several Russian Imperial Stouts with cherries, actually. I'd think you could rack any big brown ale onto muddled cherries in the secondary. Mmmm...
seymour

Postby Mike C-Z » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:07 pm

We made a chocolate, chilli, cherry porter and took 3rd place in the HHHC. Used cocao nibs, ancho peppers, and cherries of course. Inspired from a gormet chocolate bar.
Teaching that does not promote learning makes as much sense as brewing that does not promote drinking.
Mike C-Z

Postby JE » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:42 am

A Cherry Saison, although horribly "out of season" would be delicious (IMO).

You could definitely add cherries to:

Stout
Barleywine
Old Ale
Saison
American Light/Standard/Premium Lager
Blonde

I personally would stay away from hoppy beers for this, but nobody said you couldn't try it in an IPA!

Imagination!!
JE

Postby JoeHPhil » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:02 pm

I've done a cherry porter that was good and had a cherry chocolate something (ok, not good enough to make me brew it). I could see a cherry witbier, maybe.
JoeHPhil

Postby Bierleichen » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:05 am

I made a smoked porter with cherries last year for my wife, and she really liked it. Granted, my wife and I are smoke beer lovers, but I thought the smoke plus the roast malts worked well with the cherries.

I'm sure this would work well with a regular porter as well.
Nate Brinson
Bierleichen

Postby SteveO » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:15 pm

Those sons a bitches at Sams Adams plugged in a Cherry Chocolate Bock instead of the regular old Chocolate Bock into their Winter sampler.

I mean, I haven't drank it yet to say if it's good or bad, but I really liked that beer the way it was and actually looked forward to it.

Sam Adams also does a cherry wheat that tasted like it was infested with Ludens. Not a fan.

O'Fallon does a cherry chocolate beer that I found drinkable, but only for 1 or 2. Was otherwise too sweet.
SteveO

Return to Ingredients Discussion