Jagerary sugar

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Jagerary sugar

Postby Mike C-Z » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:17 pm

Just wondering who else has used this, and what they put it in. I've put half lb in a five gallon blonde ale with good results. Curious about other options.
Teaching that does not promote learning makes as much sense as brewing that does not promote drinking.
Mike C-Z

Re: Jagerary sugar

Postby doelgers » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:20 pm

I have been looking at various raw sugars. Jaggery by far has an aroma and flavor that begs to be in brewing. Check out Randy Mosher's, Radical Brewing, he has a recipe for Jaggery Pale Ale. Also interested in making a beer with Jaggery but afraid the Radical Brewing recipe might be too much.
doelgers

Postby Mike C-Z » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:04 pm

That was one of our first brewing books. Don't really make pale ales though. I have a pound of jaggery at home waiting to be used. I almost put it in my triple, but had enough cane sugar. Might put it in a british bitter.
Teaching that does not promote learning makes as much sense as brewing that does not promote drinking.
Mike C-Z

Postby seymour » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:28 am

Mike C-Z wrote:...Might put it in a british bitter.

That's a fun idea. The buttery-toffee essence would probably pair well with an English ale yeast which produces slight pleasant diacetyl, such as the Ringwood or Fullers strains. Just don't let Naski judge it. :) As you know, though, simple sugar can thin the body too much for a true-to-style English ale, so be sure to compensate by mashing high, using more cystal malt and/or torrified wheat, flaked barley, etc.

Flossmoor Station brews a highly-rated Mick Jaggery IPA. Love the name.
seymour

Return to Ingredients Discussion