Yeast and Temps for Urban Chestnut Zwickel

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Yeast and Temps for Urban Chestnut Zwickel

Postby scotth » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:29 pm

Anyone know what yeast and fermentation temperatures Urban Chestnut uses for their Zwickel? I was thinking about culturing some yeast from a growler or bottle, but would prefer buying a vial for the sake of simplicity.

Thanks!

Scott
scotth

Re: Yeast and Temps for Urban Chestnut Zwickel

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:29 pm

I have no idea, but you could always email them. Urban Chestnut is notorious for helping out homebrewers.
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

Fermenting: Roggenbier, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Hefeweizen, Barleywine
Lagering: Märzen, Doppelbock, Düsseldorf Alt
turkeyjerky214

Postby scotth » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:51 pm

They must have recently added this to their website, either that or I never noticed

http://urbanchestnut.com/our-beers

Original Gravity:12.0%
Mashing:Single decoction mash
Mash in at 122 deg F
Rest at 144 deg F and pull the decoction mash
(Target 162 deg F of combined mash after decoction mash gets pumped back)
Boil decoction mash for 30 min
Pump decoction mash back to main mash
Rest at 162 deg F
Transfer mash
Boil: Boil for 90 min
Hops: Hallertau Hallertau Mittelfrueh
Target BU: 19
Hop Additions: Add 75% of total amount at the start of the boil, Add 25% of total amount at the end of the boil
Yeast: Bavarian Lager Yeast
Fermentation Profile: Ferment cold (45 - 52 deg F target), Mature at 32 - 34 deg F for 3 - 4 weeks
scotth

Postby seymour » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:09 am

scotth wrote:Anyone know what yeast and fermentation temperatures Urban Chestnut uses for their Zwickel? I was thinking about culturing some yeast from a growler or bottle, but would prefer buying a vial for the sake of simplicity.

I love that beer too, just drank a liter stein of it at the Urban Chestnut Oktoberfest yesterday. Goes great with a big Bavarian soft pretzel and spicy mustard. :)

Their Zwickel yeast is a proprietary German lager strain, but they recommend Fermentis S-23 to homebrewers, which is code RH from the VLB archive in Berlin. It's unknown whether that's the exact strain Florian uses at the brewery, but he says it's performs similarly. Recall that his brewmaster role at Anheuser Busch was director of their yeast lab for years, so you can be sure he has quite the horde to choose from. For all intents and purposes, any German lager strain should do, the key is not to filter (which most of us homebrewers cannot do anyway, but skip your typical fining routine as well: Irish Moss, gelatin, isinglass, etc.)

From their original website:
Urban Chestnut Zwickel

Original Gravity: 12.0%
Mashing: Single decoction mash
Mash in at 122 deg F
Rest at 144 deg F and pull the decoction mash
(Target 162 deg F of combined mash after decoction mash gets pumped back)
Boil decoction mash for 30 min
Pump decoction mash back to main mash
Rest at 162 deg F
Transfer mash

Boil: Boil for 90 min

Hops: Hallertau Mittelfrueh
Target BU: 19
Hop Additions: Add 75% of total amount at the start of the boil, Add 25% of total amount at the end of the boil

Yeast: Bavarian Lager Yeast
Fermentation Profile: Ferment cold (45 - 52 deg F target), Mature at 32 - 34 deg F for 3 - 4 weeks

Best of luck!
seymour

Return to Ingredients Discussion