What is your favourite grainbill for a hop trial recipe?

Post & comment on beer, cider & mead recipes

Moderator: rsc3da

What is your favourite grainbill for a hop trial recipe?

Postby seymour » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:38 pm

When brewing to show-off a new hop, what sort of grainbill do you use? What is your thought process?

For instance, are you shooting for the most neutral malt possible to shine the spotlight entirely on the hops? Or, do you brew a favourite recipe which has some malt complexity, just to see what new hops might add to it? Low-grav or high-grav? Light or Dark? Or...what?

Of course, any answer to this question would also make a good "green hop brew" too.
seymour

Re: What is your favourite grainbill for a hop trial recipe?

Postby wbuell » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:47 pm

I'm of the persuasion of base malt with only maybe some crystal to balance the bitterness. Of course, if you specifically are trying out the hop for a certain type of beer then make an appropriate grain bill. New hops are always welcome :)
Bill Buell
wbuell

Postby siwelwerd » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:39 pm

I usually go for a style that is most likely to feature that hop. So a new fruity American hop is going to go into my stock APA (oh sorry, I forgot we call these "Session IPAs" these days...) recipe; something that purports to be Englishy is going in to a bitter. I guess the theme is that I usually try for a relevant, medium gravity hoppy style; there's something to be learned from tasting a hop in a "blank canvas"-type recipe, but I like to get a taste for what it will do in a less contrived environment.

Also, I don't usually want to drink 5 or 10 gallons of the "blank canvas" recipe.
siwelwerd

Postby seymour » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:53 pm

Great tips, siwelwerd.
seymour

Postby seymour » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:39 am

Bump.
seymour

Return to Recipes