Lambic

Post & comment on beer, cider & mead recipes

Moderator: rsc3da

Lambic

Postby Mike C-Z » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:01 pm

So I just might actually get around to brewing this style sometime this year. If I do, I'll follow a basic recipe of 70% Pils and 30% unmalted wheat and 3 oz. of aged hops. Not sure on what mash schedule I would follow, maybe one from the Wild Brews book. I have a question about fermentation though. When you pitch a yeast like Wyeast 3278 Belgian Lambic Blend, do you leave the beer on the yeast in the primary for the 1 to 3 years of aging? Also, should a calculate the recipe with a lower efficiency since I'm using so much unmalted wheat, or can I still get decent efficiency with the right mash schedule?
Teaching that does not promote learning makes as much sense as brewing that does not promote drinking.
Mike C-Z

Re: Lambic

Postby stlmalt » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:58 pm

Any one of the 3 mash schedules outlined in Wild Brews should work. The WYEAST Lambic mash schedule looks to be the most simple and the Turbid mash schedule the most involved but the most fun. Yes you can let the beer age in the primary using the mixed culture or ferment first with a Saccharomyces c. yeast strain and introduce the lambic bacteria in the secondary. Don't forget to bring us a sample.
Kent
Missouri Malt Supply in Fenton
stlmalt

Postby seymour » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:22 pm

You've probably seen this already, but I think the BYO article about Lambic brewing is one of the best technique summaries and it includes a recipe (albeit extract, which seems a bit odd if you're going to all the trouble): http://byo.com/stories/item/975-lambic-brewing

The obsessive/compulsive http://themadfermentationist.com/ blog is extremely interesting and informative too.

------------

Probably the closest I've come to a true lambic fermentation was this weirdo made from the second runnings of a chocolate stout (I know that's not a traditional lambic grainbill), candi sugar, some wind-blown wild yeasts I got from a friend, and a bunch of other yeast and bacteria strains I cultured: http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=55243 (several pages of interesting commentary ensue...)

Interestingly, that crazy yeast blend of mine went on to produce a couple Pacific Northwest commercial beers such as Republic Seymour Magic Hat Wheat Ale (having nothing to do with Magic Hat brewery, I wish they hadn't named it that!)
seymour

Postby Mike C-Z » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:36 pm

Thanks for those links. I found a lot of good info online. I'll post some links later. With the long boil/huge boil off needed when doing a turbid mash, I think I'll have to wait until I get a better burner.
Teaching that does not promote learning makes as much sense as brewing that does not promote drinking.
Mike C-Z

Return to Recipes