Märzen/Oktoberfest Feedback

Post & comment on beer, cider & mead recipes

Moderator: rsc3da

Re: Märzen/Oktoberfest Feedback

Postby Lynux » Thu May 16, 2013 1:56 pm

Then I'd say you got yourself a nice malty Marzen. The 20L Munich is really strong stuff and I wouldn't use more than a lb in 5 gallons personally.
A good brew will quench the parched soul

P -
C - Lambic
Tap - Red Lager, Black Lager, Patersbier, Cream Ale
Bottle - Barleywine, Mead, Flanders Red, Wit Wine
Lynux

Postby l1chris » Thu May 16, 2013 9:57 pm

For the record, i use campden tablets strictly for removal of chlorine/chloramines. If you havent had any issues with that in your previous beers, its probably not necessary.
l1chris

Postby siwelwerd » Thu May 16, 2013 10:13 pm

turkeyjerky214 wrote:Would it be wise to start adding stuff like campden tablets and calcium chloride without knowing my specific water profile?

Yes, if you have a general idea of your water. Remember, even if you have one set of published values it will vary over the year.

When I lived in Rock Hill, which I'm assuming gets the same water as you in Maplewood, I went with the following values: Calcium 20-50, Sulfate 40-80, Chloride 10-30, Carbonate 80-110. This is based on several different postings of numbers for the area (some on this forum, others via google). I believe this to be accurate, as assuming this as my base water, making the requisite adjustments resulted in better beer for me.

For a Marzen, you probably want more calcium and chloride, and less carbonate. Dilution with RO or DI down to 50 ppm carbonate (so a 1:1 dilution), and then supplementing with CaCl (to get the Calcium back up, and more chlorides to accentuate the maltiness) would probably be optimal. I was too lazy to dilute, but then again, I never made an outstanding lager (merely very good, with supplementing with CaCl).

You don't need the campden tablets, treat them like a secondary: only do it if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. You probably don't even need to filter your tap water.
siwelwerd

Postby rsc3da » Thu May 23, 2013 12:40 am

Speaking of chloromine, I think it's a very uncommon addition a water company will make. Usually, they just add chlorine, I don't have any hard evidence to back that up, just from what I have heard/read.

I noticed you are doing one decoction from saccharification to the mash-out rest. How long were you going to be boiling that decoction? I'd recommend you boil it for 30 minutes or longer. A rich malty aroma and flavor is part of the style. If possible, start the pH in the decoction higher like 5.8. If you have a higher pH during the decoction more maillard reactions will occur. You can raise pH with chalk, pickling lime, or baking soda.

Try to keep the flavor ions relatively low, with a bunch of bicarbonate. Shoot for the Munich profile:
Ca 77, Mg 17, Na 4, SO4 18, Cl 8, HCO3 295
Notice the flavor ions are low, and sulfate is twice the chloride. The flavor of an Oktoberfest is supposed to be sweet up front but finish somewhat dry. The sulfate will definitely help create the perception of a dry finish, while the chloride that is there will back up the malt.

I think Chris commented on this, but it is definitely correct so I will second it. Pitch at the fermentation temp. or if possible, about 5F lower. Allow the wort to rise in temperature to the desired primary fermentation temperature you want it at over a day or 2 (probably around 50F). If you pitch when the wort is too high in temperature, the beer will end up with more ale like qualities that are inappropriate in this style.

Lastly, pitch a lot of yeast. If the yeast quantity pitched is high, the yeast won't have to go through that growth phase for very long and it should result in a cleaner beer. Don't overpitch though, you do want the yeast to have to grow a little bit.
Kegged: CAH (Cider + Agave + Honey)
Lagering: -
Conditioning: RIS (BA Abraxas 2.0),Quad/Saison
Fermenting: Oktoberfest, Lambic
Plan: -
rsc3da

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:36 pm

Just took the first sample of this. It's been lagering for about two months now. Next time I brew this, I'll probably knock the Munich 60 down to half a pound, but aside from that, it's pretty damn tasty. I should hopefully have some to bring to the meeting in October.
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

Fermenting: Roggenbier, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Hefeweizen, Barleywine
Lagering: Märzen, Doppelbock, Düsseldorf Alt
turkeyjerky214

Previous

Return to Recipes