Anyone ever brew with candy corn?

Post & comment on beer, cider & mead recipes

Moderator: rsc3da

Anyone ever brew with candy corn?

Postby moodybrews » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:54 pm

I'm thinking about throwing a pound or so of candy corn in an imperial stout....something a little out of the ordinary. Anyone ever brew with candy corn?
"He that drinketh strong beer and goes to bed right mellow, lives as he ought to live and dies a hearty fellow"
moodybrews

Re: Anyone ever brew with candy corn?

Postby jeffjm » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:59 pm

I'd be scared of candy corn. At a minimum, check the ingredients for preservatives that could retard fermentation.
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Postby moodybrews » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:14 pm

Candy corn is made with just eight ingredients: sugar, corn syrup, confectioner's glaze, natural/artificial flavorings (and colors), salt, egg whites, honey glycerin, mineral oil, and carnauba wax.
"He that drinketh strong beer and goes to bed right mellow, lives as he ought to live and dies a hearty fellow"
moodybrews

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:38 pm

moodybrews wrote:Candy corn is made with just eight ingredients: sugar, corn syrup, confectioner's glaze, natural/artificial flavorings (and colors), salt, egg whites, honey glycerin, mineral oil, and carnauba wax.

Except for sugar, I wouldn't want to put any of those things in my beer.
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

Fermenting: Roggenbier, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Hefeweizen, Barleywine
Lagering: Märzen, Doppelbock, Düsseldorf Alt
turkeyjerky214

Postby jeffjm » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:49 pm

The sugar and corn syrup are more or less 100% fermentable, but I have no clue what the glaze or flavorings will do. The egg whites might add proteins that if you're lucky would fall out in the boil. If you're not lucky they could lead to stability problems - I'm not real sure, but it seems reasonable. The salt could throw your water chemistry out of whack if there's too much. The mineral oil, if it's more than a trace, will do bad things to head retention.

In exchange for this list of potential negatives, how much flavor are you going to get? Candy corn doesn't have a real strong taste to it, and that's before it ferments out. You'd be better off adding something like turbinado sugar or molasses.
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Postby moodybrews » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:00 pm

Ive done some research and you are dead on about head retention. Looks like Im going to pass on the candy corn. I was looking at the all natural candy corn and it just doesnt seem that the effort to getting the candy corn is worth what I will get from it...flavor wise. On to the next idea. Thanks for taking the time and giving me your input.
moodybrews

Return to Recipes