Maple Oatmeal Stout

Post & comment on beer, cider & mead recipes

Moderator: rsc3da

Maple Oatmeal Stout

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:40 pm

I'm taking another stab at a maple oatmeal stout. Instead of using a maple extract (sorry to those of you who I made try the first batch), I'm going to keg it and use maple syrup to carbonate it.

This is only the second time I'll be brewing a stout, so I'm still not that familiar with the style. As always, all feedback is appreciated.

Maple Oatmeal Stout
13-C Oatmeal Stout

Size: 5.5 gal @ 68 °F
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 195.41 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.059 (1.048 - 1.065)
|==================#=============|
Terminal Gravity: 1.015 (1.010 - 1.018)
|=================#==============|
Color: 27.55 (22.0 - 40.0)
|============#===================|
Alcohol: 5.77% (4.2% - 5.9%)
|======================#=========|
Bitterness: 36.4 (25.0 - 40.0)
|====================#===========|

Ingredients:
8.75 lb (70.2%) Maris Otter - added during mash
1.66 lb (13.3%) Oats Flaked - added during mash
.5 lb (4.0%) Cara-Pils® Malt - added during mash
.5 lb (4.0%) Caramel Malt 120L - added during mash
.8 lb (6.4%) Roasted Barley - added during mash
.25 lb (2.0%) German Carafa II - added during mash
.75 oz Magnum (12.9%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
1 oz Willamette (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 15 m
1.0 ea White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

Fermenting: Roggenbier, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Hefeweizen, Barleywine
Lagering: Märzen, Doppelbock, Düsseldorf Alt
turkeyjerky214

Re: Maple Oatmeal Stout

Postby Witch Doctor Dale » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:56 pm

I highly doubt you ill even have a hint of maple coming thru all that.
Witch Doctor Dale

Postby tlael » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:05 pm

I don't have any experience with maple or maple flavoring, but perhaps maple syrup could be added post fermentation with the aid of potassium sorbate to prevent fermentation of the maple.
You'd probably want to mash pretty low and dry that sucker out since the maple will add back substantial residual sweetness if you go that route.

Just thinking aloud since I really don't know shit. ;)

One other thing... I thought the amount of roast barley seemed high for a 5.5 gal batch, but I assume you're going for a dry stout[ish] base? To me ~3/4 lb of roast barley seems up there, but it all may play nicely with the maple aspect too.

I think trial and error will be your close friends while trying to perfect this one.

Was the extract too artificial or too sweet or what? Luckily, I was not on the taste panel (that I remember). :lol:
-Tim Lael

Primary:
Air
Kegged:
Classic American Pils
Dusseldorf Alt
Belgian Dark Strongarm
Donkere Geneeskunde
In The Barrel:
Donkere Geneeskunde
On Deck:
Belgian Blond
tlael

Postby jeffjm » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:58 pm

Since maple syrup is largely made of fermentable sugars, I'm not sure how much flavor you'll get once your yeast have done their work. Randy Mosher suggests using grade B maple syrup in the secondary. in Radical Brewing, but I like his other suggestion even better: cheat. He writes:

"The spice fenugreek has such a 'maply' taste that it is a frequent substitute for real maple in syrups and other food products. It would be a useful additive in maple beers to extend and enhance the maple flavor."

Making a stout like tihs has been on my to-do list for a while now. Try Penzey's in Maplewood, or an Indian grocery, for fenugreek.
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:40 pm

Witch Doctor Dale wrote:I highly doubt you ill even have a hint of maple coming thru all that.

What would you suggest I do differently?

Tim, I don't think you had the pleasure. It wasn't that bad. Just had a really strong maple aroma, but not much in the flavor. It also killed the head completely. I'm guessing there was some oil in the extract.
I'm actually going for an oatmeal stout base (hence the title Maple Oatmeal Stout). You think I should dial back the roasted barley?
I like your idea of using potassium sorbate. Then I could just force carb and add a little maple at a time. I mashed pretty high last time, 156º I think. Maybe shoot for around 148-150º and a 90 minute mash? It's already got a target final gravity of 1.014. If I get it down around 1.010 and then back sweeten with maple, that might be a good balance.

Jeff, I actually have that book, but I completely forgot about that part. I'll have to go check some of that stuff out and see if I think it smells close enough.

What's everyone think about the amount of flaked oats? I've read that 10-15% is usually a good starting point.
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

turkeyjerky214

Postby tlael » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:08 pm

turkeyjerky214 wrote:What would you suggest I do differently?

Tim, I don't think you had the pleasure. It wasn't that bad. Just had a really strong maple aroma, but not much in the flavor. It also killed the head completely. I'm guessing there was some oil in the extract.
I'm actually going for an oatmeal stout base (hence the title Maple Oatmeal Stout). You think I should dial back the roasted barley?
I like your idea of using potassium sorbate. Then I could just force carb and add a little maple at a time. I mashed pretty high last time, 156º I think. Maybe shoot for around 148-150º and a 90 minute mash? It's already got a target final gravity of 1.014. If I get it down around 1.010 and then back sweeten with maple, that might be a good balance.

Jeff, I actually have that book, but I completely forgot about that part. I'll have to go check some of that stuff out and see if I think it smells close enough.

What's everyone think about the amount of flaked oats? I've read that 10-15% is usually a good starting point.

My opinion (and ya know what they say about opinions)... I would dial the roast barley back to the 4-5% range and make that color up with the carafa.
Personally, I often think that I detect a metallic (penny in mouth) flavor once I get roast barley above 5%. It fades with time and may play nice with the maple, but I'm not certain on that.

I did some reading about the seed deal this afternoon and the general consensus, as I interpreted it, seems to be that the results are similar to extract. That is very believable since commercial extract is made from the seeds and the most effective stated homebrew method that I read is a vodka/extract process similar to the commercial extract production process.
Pro brewer forums had an interesting thread where maple was added to bright/serving tanks @ ratios from 1/2 gallon syrup:5 gallons brew all the way to 1:5.There, they relied upon cool serving temps and sleepy ale yeast rather than sorbate.

I'd agree on the oats. The only way I question them is because of the unknown... what mouthfeel will the maple contribute if it is added post fermentation?... If you go that route. If you go that way (post ferm) I'd say leave the oats where they are because the sweetness should add a fuller perception lessening the need for the oats.
If you go the seed route, or decide to ferment a large volume of syrup, I'd add up to 15-20% oats. Especially if you ferment the syrup since that may produce a thinner beer.

Make sense?

Again, I like to think/type aloud.
-Tim Lael

Primary:
Air
Kegged:
Classic American Pils
Dusseldorf Alt
Belgian Dark Strongarm
Donkere Geneeskunde
In The Barrel:
Donkere Geneeskunde
On Deck:
Belgian Blond
tlael

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:24 pm

Definitely not planning to ferment out a ton of maple syrup. I'm waaaaay to cheap for that. I'm gonna check out fenugreek, and might even add a tiny bit to a Schlafly oatmeal stout to see what it tastes/smells like in a beer. I'll probably end up just chilling and carbonating the beer and then adding a little maple syrup at a time.

The more I talk about it, the more I'm really looking forward to taking another crack at this one.
-Brian

turkeyjerky214

Return to Recipes