Way too much yeast in keg

General beer, cider & mead brewing discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Way too much yeast in keg

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Somehow my share of the JD barrel barleywine ended up with a ton of yeast in it. Like so much that after 6 months of cold conditioning without being moved, I'm still getting yeast every time I pull a sample.

I don't own a filtration system, so what are my options? Can I just pop the lid off and siphon into a fresh keg? Does it matter that it's carbonated?
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

Fermenting: Roggenbier, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Hefeweizen, Barleywine
Lagering: Märzen, Doppelbock, Düsseldorf Alt
turkeyjerky214

Re: Way too much yeast in keg

Postby siwelwerd » Mon May 06, 2013 2:47 pm

turkeyjerky214 wrote:Can I just pop the lid off and siphon into a fresh keg?

Yes. A closed transfer would be better. I know some people have sawed off an inch or two off the bottom of a dip tube to allow them to use a corny as a bright tank, and do a closed transfer off the sediment.

Carbonation can cause foaming issues when racking. Probably best to degas, rack to a purged corny, then recarbonate.
siwelwerd

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:55 pm

Foaming (and possibly resulting oxidation) was my biggest concern. Obviously I'd prefer to do a closed transfer, but with how bad it is, I think I'd just be sending a ton of yeast over with the beer.
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

Fermenting: Roggenbier, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Hefeweizen, Barleywine
Lagering: Märzen, Doppelbock, Düsseldorf Alt
turkeyjerky214

Postby tlael » Mon May 06, 2013 7:32 pm

How about a hybrid solution?

Closed transfer and shortened tube.

Step 1:
Release pressure from the current yeasty keg (leave the relief valve open). Pull the liquid post and dip tube (close relief valve). Using a small diameter tubing cutter, cut 1" off the dip tube. Clean, sanitize and replace dip tube and liquid post. Reapply CO2 and purge keg.

Step 2:
Prepare and purge fresh keg with CO2. Attach liquid to liquid post transfer line to receiving keg. Apply 5 PSI to donor keg and attach other transfer line liquid connection to donor keg. Allow kegs to equalize then pull relief valve on receiving keg. Allow transfer to complete and pay attention near the end for any excessive yeast transfer (I use clear liquid line for this reason) and to prevent foaming when donor runs dry.

You'll probably see yeast more during the start of transfer than the end.
If you need to transfer again, simply switch the short tube to the keg to be transferred from. Just be sure to have an indicator for which keg has the short tube in it as I always forget where mine is.
-Tim Lael

Primary:
Air
Kegged:
Classic American Pils
Dusseldorf Alt
Belgian Dark Strongarm
Donkere Geneeskunde
In The Barrel:
Donkere Geneeskunde
On Deck:
Belgian Blond