Do you cold-age beers aside from lagers?

General beer, cider & mead brewing discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Do you cold-age beers aside from lagers?

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:21 pm

I've read in a few places that some styles outside of lagers benefit from cold aging versus room temperature. I just kegged a Wee Heavy and plan to age it until this fall/winter. Until now, I've aged all my stronger beers in the basement at around 65º unless they're a lager in which case they're stored at 34º.

Do you cold-age any of your beers besides lagers, and if so, which styles? Would this Wee Heavy benefit from colder storage?
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

Fermenting: Roggenbier, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Hefeweizen, Barleywine
Lagering: Märzen, Doppelbock, Düsseldorf Alt
turkeyjerky214

Re: Do you cold-age beers aside from lagers?

Postby siwelwerd » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:58 pm

Aging is going to be temperature dependent. I think I read somewhere that every 10 degrees warmer you go will decrease the shelf life by around 50%. The last time I made a Wee Heavy, I bulk aged in a keg in my chest freezer at around 40F for 18 months. I then finally bottled it, probably a year ago. When I brew it again I will follow a similar protocol.

On that note, I'm gonna go snag one of those bottles and stick it in the fridge for after dinner :)
siwelwerd

Postby JoeHPhil » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Yes but...

This is one of those 'it depends' topics. I want a little aging/oxidation with barleywines, Wee heavies, and Old Ales. That being the case I keep them at room temp after packaging for a long time rather than refridgerated. When I get it where I want it then a cooler storage is in order.
JoeHPhil

Postby siwelwerd » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:14 pm

siwelwerd wrote:Aging is going to be temperature dependent.

JoeHPhil wrote:This is one of those 'it depends' topics.

'dependent'='it depends' ;) I find it easier to gauge how it's going if it's cold and I can just pop a picnic tap on the keg and have a sample every 3 or 4 months. You will get those oxidation flavors with cold storage as well, just more slowly.

On a sad note, I found that I am down to the very last bottle of Wee Heavy. Guess I know what's next on the brew schedule!
siwelwerd

Postby jeffjm » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:31 am

siwelwerd wrote:On a sad note, I found that I am down to the very last bottle of Wee Heavy. Guess I know what's next on the brew schedule!

Based on your aging schedule, you should have brewed that 18 months ago!
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Postby tlael » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:43 am

siwelwerd wrote:Aging is going to be temperature dependent. I think I read somewhere that every 10 degrees warmer you go will decrease the shelf life by around 50%.

I've read articles and heard a podcast that Charlie Bamforth said this in.... of course with a little more detail.

From personal experience, I can say that my hybrid beers Kolsch/Cali Common both get really good after 2-3 months of cold conditioning. After that, both fade slowly, but steadily.
-Tim Lael

Primary:
Air
Kegged:
Classic American Pils
Dusseldorf Alt
Belgian Dark Strongarm
Donkere Geneeskunde
In The Barrel:
Donkere Geneeskunde
On Deck:
Belgian Blond