Fall Friendship Brew 2017

Local, regional, national & international beer and brewing news. Please check here for important announcements.

Moderator: rsc3da

Fall Friendship Brew 2017

Postby rsc3da » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:26 pm

The Fall Picnic is quickly approaching and that means it's time to have another friendly Friendship Brew competition!

At the next meeting (September 7) we will pass around a signup sheet, if you wish to participate in the Fall Friendship Brew you need to include your name on this sheet. If you wish to be the lead brewer for one of the teams then you need to specify that. Depending on how many participants we have will determine how many lead brewers we'll need, we'll try to keep the teams evenly balanced about 3 or 4 brewers each team. Being the lead brewer means you'll be in charge of anything relating to this event for your team.

For the style I am thinking what is probably the most popular trend in craft beer at this time, and most certainly in the IPA realm and that is the Northeastern IPA. Essentially an American IPA but focusing more on a juicy/fruity combination character that can be acquired using late hop additions and a more fruity yeast strain than good old California Ale. A soft mouthfeel is also important, no hard water or Burtonized water treatment necessary, more balanced bitterness to maltiness. Adjuncts are a possibility as well (Oats, Wheat, Corn) to add a more creamy mouthfeel or to lend a crisper finish. Let's keep the ABV at 5% or under.
Kegged: CAH (Cider + Agave + Honey)
Lagering: -
Conditioning: RIS (BA Abraxas 2.0),Quad/Saison
Fermenting: Oktoberfest, Lambic
Plan: -
rsc3da

Re: Fall Friendship Brew 2017

Postby jeffjm » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:04 am

Isn't 5% low for these beers? Not that ratebeer is a great reference, but the examples they list are all higher ABV, sometimes by quite a bit.

https://www.ratebeer.com/tag/new-england-ipa/
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Postby rsc3da » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:39 pm

You are right, I was just thinking there will only be about 6 weeks from the time we form teams and the time of the picnic so I was thinking a 6% to 8ish % ABV brew wouldn't be a good idea. We can go ahead and just let the ABV be whatever you want but keep in mind there isn't a lot of time until the picnic.
rsc3da

Postby rsc3da » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:49 pm

We have only 3 members so far who are willing to be team leads. We have roughly 20 people who signed up to participate in the Friendship Brew so I need about 3 or 4 more team leads.

Who is interested?
rsc3da

Postby rsc3da » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Fall Friendship Brew 2017 Teams:

The following are the teams for the Fall Friendship Brew 2017. The first member listed on each team is the lead for that team.

Team 1 : Robert Betz, Jason Mueller, John Flaherty, Mark Rempe

Team 2 : William Nordmann, Peter Mackercher, Josh Matlock, Ian Wrobel

Team 3 : Eric Smith, Steve Doelger, Tamara Taylor, Kent Robertson

Team 4 : Josh Aune, John Garrett, Gregg Gourde, Mark Stephenson

Team 5 : Tim Fahrner, Darrell Nolan, Ryan Crump, Dan Stauder
rsc3da

Postby wnordmann » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:51 am

Team 2 had a great brew day Sunday. Using a ton of hops even some fresh hops harvested the day before.
wnordmann

Return to Brews News