Unwanted Posts

If you have any suggestions, questions, comments, or anything you would like to say to the webmaster, this is the place.

Moderator: rsc3da

Unwanted Posts

Postby erniew » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:42 pm

It appears that non-members have started posting on our forum.
Gastric Bypass was posted under Competition. I hope this is not a brewing competition.
Fermenting:
In the Keg:
Ernie
erniew

Re: Unwanted Posts

Postby beermikester » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:06 am

Yeah, we got hit pretty hard last night. I deleted about 10 users and their posts.

If you see posts that are invalid, please be sure to flag them. When looking at a post, there is an icon that looks like a triangle with an exclamation point in it. Clicking on that flags the post, and alerts us that we need to delete it.

Thanks,

Mike

On Tap: Northern Brown Ale, Imperial Oktoberfest, Saison, Kolsch
Fermenting: Saison, IPA
beermikester
Site Admin

Postby StLBeer » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:29 am

With all of the unwanted posts lately, perhaps we need to try a different method of authorizing folks to post in our forums. Can we increase the number of administrators or at least have forum moderators that can delete the posts and shutdown the accounts they are coming from? I'll offer some of my time to do that.

Paul Murphy
Serving - Dark Medicine, JD Bigfoot Barleywine Clone, JD RIS (jealous?), American Wheat Ale, Nut Brown Ale, & Blondes...
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby beermikester » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:16 am

We have three admins now, and in general, we get to the posts fairly quickly to delete them and the users that posted them. However, John is going to look at other ways to slow them down, such as having them post to a temporary area until we know they are legit.

On Tap: Northern Brown Ale, Imperial Oktoberfest, Saison, Kolsch
Fermenting: Saison, IPA
beermikester
Site Admin

Postby wnordmann » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:19 am

Like anything the harder you make it for the spammers the harder you make it for the legitimate new users.
wnordmann

Postby StLBeer » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:30 pm

wnordmann wrote:Like anything the harder you make it for the spammers the harder you make it for the legitimate new users.

Willie, can you make a suggestion for how to make it better?
Serving - Dark Medicine, JD Bigfoot Barleywine Clone, JD RIS (jealous?), American Wheat Ale, Nut Brown Ale, & Blondes...
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby JoeHPhil » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:04 pm

How about a conditional process - anyone with less than 10 posts their posts go to a mediator first to be approved? After they have posted 10 legitimate items then that restriction goes away.
JoeHPhil

Postby wnordmann » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:16 pm

How about a conditional process - anyone with less than 10 posts their posts go to a mediator first to be approved? After they have posted 10 legitimate items then that restriction goes away.

I'm worried people with legitimate post will get upset by the restriction and would then leave and never return. And that would entail more work for the moderators.

I think stepping up the verification questions would help some. Maybe assign some more mods
wnordmann

Postby jeffjm » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:07 pm

Maybe set the number of approved posts to two or three...no spammer is going to make three intelligent, on-topic posts, and it's less work on the admins than ten approvals per new user.
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Postby astx813 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Hell, let's start with one and see how that goes.
Secretariat
Jew #1 of Two Jews Brews
astx813

Postby jeffjm » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:00 pm

One sounds good too - it's better than what we've got now and is the change least likely to aggravate new users.
jeffjm

Postby jkeeton » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:17 pm

I am working on something right now to help this..

More to come.
jkeeton
Site Admin

Postby jeffjm » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:33 pm

We all need to give lots of credit to jkeeton. I've been in similar positions, doing volunteer IT work for one non-profit or another, several times, and it's something that non-IT people don't always appreciate.

You come home from work, after dealing with computer problems all day. All you want to to do is spend some time with your family, or watch a movie, or do some of the brewing-related janitorial work that we all do. Then you find out that the server you volunteered to support is acting up, and you give up your precious free time to fix the problem because other people want 'their website' to work perfectly.

After you've spent most of your evening putting out the non-profit's fire, you go to bed knowing that you're going to go back to work tomorrow and deal with yet more computer problems. You don't get a break at all.

Thanks, jkeeton. I (end everyone else who uses this forum) owe you lots of beer.
jeffjm

Postby jkeeton » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:16 pm

Jeffjm, Thanks for the post. I appreciate it. To make things worse, I am on call this week as well :(
jkeeton
Site Admin

Postby jkeeton » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:27 pm

I installed a mod on the board that is supposed to really cut down on the spam registrations. Actual users won't see much of anything different.

It does a couple things on the registration screen.
when someone goes to register their IP address will be checked against a list of known spammers. If they are on an RBL, they will be blocked.
created a couple timezones that are at the top and bottom of the timezone list on the registration screen and if someone selects that they will be blocked as well.
Lastly, scary for me, the captcha screen is gone. The mod did this automatically because the author thinks its that good.

We will see how it does. Since 10pm it already has blocked 6 via the IP lookup, and 1 via the timezone thing.

john
jkeeton
Site Admin

Next

Return to Brews Forum Discussion