Members only section for forum

If you have any suggestions, questions, comments, or anything you would like to say to the webmaster, this is the place.

Moderator: rsc3da

Re: Members only section for forum

Postby wnordmann » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:00 pm

Kally wrote:GBS implemented this overnight. Ask Joey how he did it.

Are you my boss? He asks the same BS questions all the time telling me to do the same thing he just saw someone else do without any related facts. Maybe I should just use the Cloud, that fixes everything.

I made a sudo members section. It uses a password which could be reset every February and only given to paid members. It's a start, I can work out the other parts later.
wnordmann

Postby Kally » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:23 pm

Willy, I think you're kidding. :wink:
But since some get upset easy around here...no intent to tell anyone what to do, just trying to help things be easier. I don't know how Joey did it, but the thing was seemless and works perfectly.

Thanks for working on it!
Pursuing beer as a verb.
Kally

Postby wnordmann » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:37 pm

I have a section for paid members, someone please provide me with a complete list of phpbb users names to add to the group

Don't worry Kally I'm not offended. And if your offended by being compared to my boss or maybe boss is the one offended, either way I don't really care.
wnordmann

Postby siwelwerd » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:48 pm

wnordmann wrote:I have a section for paid members, someone please provide me with a complete list of phpbb users names to add to the group

siwelwerd
wnordmann

;)
siwelwerd

Postby JE » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:12 pm

siwelwerd wrote:siwelwerd
wnordmann
Kally

Fixed that for you... :lol:
JE

Postby Kally » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:11 am

We have a password for the members-only section of the website. Maybe that would be a way to get this going in the near term. We can email that out to the heritage festival list (and maybe the whole club if we can) for those who don't know it.

Makes this easier when organizing private events.
Pursuing beer as a verb.
Kally

Postby StLBeer » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:08 pm

Maybe it would be easier if we had an indicator for each online member that they are a member in good standing. Instead of having a single password that will be misused, everyone has their own password and it's attached to their userid. If there was some way a file could be provided by the treasurer...
Serving - Dark Medicine, JD Bigfoot Barleywine Clone, JD RIS (jealous?), American Wheat Ale, Nut Brown Ale, & Blondes...
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby beermikester » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:56 pm

We have the list of members. That's not the problem. The problem is figuring out which username belongs to which member. And there are members that aren't users of the board. So it is really just a question of asking each member for their user name.

Willie has been trying different methods out for the forum. I think we are pretty close. At some point in the near future, I will probably send out an email to all of the club members asking them to reply with their user name. We will then get that entered into the system and will be good to go.

Mike

On Tap: Northern Brown Ale, Imperial Oktoberfest, Saison, Kolsch
Fermenting: Saison, IPA
beermikester
Site Admin

Postby RobertHSmith » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:42 pm

I read through the bylaws this weekend. Are we going to say that members in good standing have also brought at least 2 styles for the year too? Before we go saying whom is/isn't a member in "good standing" I think we need an interpretation or clarification on what is a member in good standing? If we are going to use the classification to keep people from participating in events and club functions, i.e. like voting for officers and other related cool stuff, I think we need a more definitive definition of what a member in "good standing" actually is.

...just saying...
Robert
http://www.robertandcathy.com

On Tap:
1: English Pale Ale
2. English Dark Mild
3. Oatmeal Stout
4. Breakwater Pale Ale Clone
5. IPA, DH w/ Centennial
6. American Wheat
RobertHSmith

Postby wnordmann » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:52 am

I was going with dues paid as a "member in good standing". A member has a 12 month period to bring in the 2 samples. Making a member bringing in two samples before they are seen as a member in good standing would just encourage people to bring both beers to the first meetings of the year leaving the later meetings high and dry.
wnordmann

Postby beermikester » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:49 am

Agreed. Access to the forum should be granted to those that have paid their dues for the current year, with the assumption they will bring beer at some point. And yes, I know what happens when you "assume".

Mike

On Tap: Northern Brown Ale, Imperial Oktoberfest, Saison, Kolsch
Fermenting: Saison, IPA
beermikester
Site Admin

Postby Kally » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:41 pm

just pay yer dues. unless we're going to hire an accountant...but not then either
Pursuing beer as a verb.
Kally

Postby JoeHPhil » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:22 am

Not to sound stupid, but is it possible that rule is outdated anyway?

Assuming all members bring 2 samples to any of our 12 meetings means 25 beers each meeting. Way too much. Math below...

~150 members * 2 = 300 samples / 12 meetings = 25 beers each

Maybe it makes some sense to amend our bylaws that each member bring 1 sample and 1 keg to a club supported event?
JoeHPhil

Postby Witch Doctor Dale » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:27 am

Asking members to bring a keg to a club supported event is not fair to those who do not keg. And with the current interpretations to the law, there might be very few events. Go with the 0ne beer to meeting, still gives us the high end of beers. 12-13 is a lot.
Witch Doctor Dale

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:53 am

Witch Doctor Dale wrote:Asking members to bring a keg to a club supported event is not fair to those who do not keg. And with the current interpretations to the law, there might be very few events. Go with the 0ne beer to meeting, still gives us the high end of beers. 12-13 is a lot.

Also maybe say it doesn't count if they don't bring enough? Call me bitter, but one of the reasons I don't come to many meetings is because it seems like I only get to try about every other beer, and even then, they're usually such small pours that I don't really get to taste it. Saying that you only need to bring one beer per year might encourage people to bring the proper amount.
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

Fermenting: Roggenbier, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Hefeweizen, Barleywine
Lagering: Märzen, Doppelbock, Düsseldorf Alt
turkeyjerky214

PreviousNext

Return to Brews Forum Discussion