Members only section for forum

If you have any suggestions, questions, comments, or anything you would like to say to the webmaster, this is the place.

Moderator: rsc3da

Members only section for forum

Postby Kally » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:12 pm

All,
It's become very important for us to have an area to discuss club matters in a members-only section of the forum. Can we make this happen in the near term? ideas?

I don't know how to implement it or help out. Let me know if there is something I can do.
thanks
Pursuing beer as a verb.
Kally

Re: Members only section for forum

Postby astx813 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Pretty sure phpBB has a way you can create a forum and restrict it only to certain users. I would definitely suggest we do that, and probably make a group for paid-up members. Someone would have to be responsible for keeping it up to date, but it shouldn't be so bad (/me volunteers).
Secretariat
Jew #1 of Two Jews Brews
astx813

Postby wnordmann » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:40 am

The problem is we don't have a reliable way to match phpbb user names to paid club members.

I have an idea how to work around this problem if needed it will just take some manual work. If this is necessary I will start working on the solution.
wnordmann

Postby jkeeton » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:17 pm

Yea, its easy to set that up. The hard part is the maintenance.

The easiest option is to force members to have their username in phpbb <Firstname Lastname>.

There could also be a field on the membership roster for people to list their forum id next to their email. The treasurer could provide that to the webmonkeys with changes for manual processing.

j
jkeeton
Site Admin

Postby siwelwerd » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:14 pm

jkeeton wrote:There could also be a field on the membership roster for people to list their forum id next to their email. The treasurer could provide that to the webmonkeys with changes for manual processing.

I don't mean to expect to much of our webmonkeys, but I'd think they have a pretty good idea which of our regular posters are which members. And anyone else can work it out with the treasurer/webmonkeys to get access.
siwelwerd

Postby JE » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:00 am

Webmonkeys. :lol:
JE

Postby jkeeton » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:06 am

siwelwerd wrote:I don't mean to expect to much of our webmonkeys, but I'd think they have a pretty good idea which of our regular posters are which members.

I for one am so bad with names, screen names make things worse. :)

j
jkeeton
Site Admin

Postby wnordmann » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:26 am

siwelwerd wrote:
jkeeton wrote:There could also be a field on the membership roster for people to list their forum id next to their email. The treasurer could provide that to the webmonkeys with changes for manual processing.

I don't mean to expect to much of our webmonkeys, but I'd think they have a pretty good idea which of our regular posters are which members. And anyone else can work it out with the treasurer/webmonkeys to get access.

I was thinking of working from the other direction. I don't like assuming I know who is a member and who isn't. I would get a email list for the treasurer and send out email links for the paid members to use to activate their membership accounts.

I'll dig more into this.
wnordmann

Postby tlael » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:10 am

wnordmann wrote:
siwelwerd wrote:

I was thinking of working from the other direction. I don't like assuming I know who is a member and who isn't. I would get a email list for the treasurer and send out email links for the paid members to use to activate their membership accounts.

I'll dig more into this.

Does phpbb have a method to establish "supporters" or "premium" forum members?
If so, the supporter/premium fee could be your annual club dues and the forum would then know who is a paid member. We could then establish an area for these members that would consist of members with their dues paid. We could tie the payments (paypal?) to the existing club gmail account (that the calendar uses).
I know the transition period would still be a PITA, but after a year has elapsed it should be pretty automatic. I guess there will always be people who won't pay online too, but they could be managed manually. Hopefully that number would be fairly small.
-Tim Lael

Primary:
Air
Kegged:
Classic American Pils
Dusseldorf Alt
Belgian Dark Strongarm
Donkere Geneeskunde
In The Barrel:
Donkere Geneeskunde
On Deck:
Belgian Blond
tlael

Postby siwelwerd » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:20 pm

wnordmann wrote:I don't like assuming I know who is a member and who isn't.

I meant more that it is pretty easy to figure out the real name for the majority of our users, which can then be checked against the treasurer's list to see if they are members.
siwelwerd

Postby jkeeton » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:53 am

I think we are trying to find an elegant solution for a simple problem: Make the members list their forum username on the membership roster.
jkeeton
Site Admin

Postby beermikester » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:01 am

Agreeed. A little work on alot is easier than a lot of work on one.

Sensai Mike

On Tap: Northern Brown Ale, Imperial Oktoberfest, Saison, Kolsch
Fermenting: Saison, IPA
beermikester
Site Admin

Postby StLBeer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:17 am

jkeeton wrote:I think we are trying to find an elegant solution for a simple problem: Make the members list their forum username on the membership roster.

Bingo!
Serving - Dark Medicine, JD Bigfoot Barleywine Clone, JD RIS (jealous?), American Wheat Ale, Nut Brown Ale, & Blondes...
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby wnordmann » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:37 am

I think we need a solution that will be sustainable for the future and has the ability to revoke access to members that have not paid. Also the solution that doesn't require the mundane task of typing in user names, the Brews doesn't have interns I can push boring jobs on like at the office.
wnordmann

Postby Kally » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:30 am

GBS implemented this overnight. Ask Joey how he did it.
Pursuing beer as a verb.
Kally

Next

Return to Brews Forum Discussion