Who can teach me an efficient way to read forum?

If you have any suggestions, questions, comments, or anything you would like to say to the webmaster, this is the place.

Moderator: rsc3da

Who can teach me an efficient way to read forum?

Postby Kally » Sat May 12, 2012 12:25 pm

It is tremendously time consuming to navigate through all of the searches and screens to get to actual content of new threads, replies, events, etc for any forum.

Is there a better way to get the new content together in a quick to read manner? I have heard of RSS and other things, but I have never seen it implemented in a super easy, get it done, type of manner.

If someone is able to teach a solution to this, I will sponsor a webex to cover it and anyone in the club would be able to join in online (free to participate) and learn.

Thanks!
Kally

PS, I may not get to reading your solution on the forum, so better to also email me at kally2246@gmail.com or my other gmail account if you know it (the other one is better, but I don't post it online).
Pursuing beer as a verb.
Kally

Re: Who can teach me an efficient way to read forum?

Postby siwelwerd » Sat May 12, 2012 3:08 pm

What's so bad about the "View Unread Posts" link?
siwelwerd

Postby jkeeton » Sun May 13, 2012 10:53 am

<<I'll cc this to your email>>

I use an rss reader for all of the websites I frequent. It worked GREAT for a while, then it became overwhelming.

First, a couple restrictions that I need to point out that others likely don't have.
1) I don't have the ability (legally) to install software on my computer at work.
2) Many websites are blocked, and rss feeds are the only way to read the content (feeds come off of reader's site)

I use Google reader. Mainly because if I mark items read at work, it is sync'ed at home. I can star items so that if its on a website I can't view at work (Like punchingkitty.com.. STL based parity / humor site. Hingly recommend it) I can see the stars at home. Many forums have rss feeds, even the stl brews website. http://www.stlbrews.org/forum/feed.php?mode=topics

john
jkeeton
Site Admin

Postby JoeHPhil » Mon May 14, 2012 8:25 am

I just saved a favorite to 'View Unread posts' and put it on my toolbar. Pretty quick and whenever I finish reading a thread I can click the shortcut instead of clicking back the proper number of times
JoeHPhil

Postby wnordmann » Mon May 14, 2012 8:32 am

Joe and Drew and the most straight forward answer. It kinda forces you to read everything, but there isn't that much activity.
wnordmann

Return to Brews Forum Discussion