The Bottle Trick

Jokes, Humor and Guffaws!

Moderator: rsc3da

The Bottle Trick

Postby karst » Tue May 26, 2009 11:29 pm

Wanting to share some wine at the Spring picnic, I found myself without a corkscrew and only plastic forks. Had I only known this trick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2SmqSyb ... r_embedded

Tom came to the rescue with a corkscrew from his car.
"Once the thought arises, the word is spoken and the deed is done, the thought, word and deed will live on and impact others long after we have ceased thinking, speaking, doing.
" Charles Bamforth Prof. Emertus UC Davis

"Cervisia Plus Respondet"
karst

Postby MIKEW » Wed May 27, 2009 7:10 am

Interesting...I saw an episode of "time warp" (show where they do stuff in front of high speed cameras) a few weeks ago and they did the trick where you fill a beer bottle with water, hit it on top, and the bottom breaks off. What their camera showed was bubbles would form at the bottom of the bottle, but they weren't bubbles but actually vacuum pockets. When the water "snapped" back it caused enough pressure to break the bottle.

I think something similar might be happening here - he is effectively hitting the bottom of the bottle which would put the vacuum pockets at the cork. The wine would snap back and put pressure on the cork, pushing it out.

On time warp, they also tried the beer bottle trick with beer instead. This didn't work because CO2 would be released into the point where the vacuum bubbles would form and the liquid never snapped back.
MIKEW

Postby karst » Wed May 27, 2009 7:44 am

Behind a good trick is often a lesson in chemistry or physics.

One of my favorites the the teacup explanation by Al Einstein which also explains the phenonomen of how the hops are separated by whirlpooling wort.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/~kmuldrew/river.html

Wonder if there are any other possible explanations re how cork is expelled?
"Once the thought arises, the word is spoken and the deed is done, the thought, word and deed will live on and impact others long after we have ceased thinking, speaking, doing.
" Charles Bamforth Prof. Emertus UC Davis

"Cervisia Plus Respondet"
karst

Return to Humor